Monday, May 09, 2005

Today

Hello
In our continuing series of songs being reviewed on GarageBand.com, we have made our way through the review cycle of "Today" here is all the info about the song and the reviews that it received. Reviewers are also able to give extra credit to certain elements of a song, a list of the extra credit awards will be shown after all the reviews. See you next time with, "Billy The Killer".

Today(4:16)

Score 2.7 out of 5.0
#158 of 190 in Current Experimental Rock
#976 of 1406 in All-Time Experimental Rock

History
Today appears on the Buddha All-Star album, Wall of Sound. This song was recorded in late 1996, with Mick on Guitar, Rob on Keys, and Scott singing and playing bass. The lyrics as most of our songs are, were improvised.

Lyrics
Life in the void
Is everything to me
Wondering how the skies must be
Living under the sea
No mom I don't got take a pee
Hey you don't bother me
Scary things they must be
Why won't you let me free

Today, Today
We all love Today
Why won't you come and play
Skies are blue and so are you

Why do they laugh at me
Why are there holes in my underwear
Don't say mon frere, I do not care

Today whenanybody
Today they cannot make me play
Go out in the fields and play Today they say
but I don't care because I can't live no longer under this constant pressure
and everything coming down over me

Today
I will play
Today

Reviews
wow
sound of disjointed inst. A guitar string being pulled by a rabbid animal? The talk/sing/talk/ vocal thing feels like some sadistic dentist laughing while he tortures. maybe this could work as a spoken word thing. But now its all over the place.
- solitaryanimal from Brooklyn, New York on 6May2005

Holes in his Hand
By using standarly tuned instruments, this piece can be still experimental. The piano playing in the background is proof of that. Good improv by the pianist. The results could also be greatly enhance by a better recording. The voice was too close to the mike. The strummed part brings the song to the earth. Believe it or not, this music comes as being very nonest and emotional. If practiced regularly, if the players get to know their performance well (or if it is a recording by one person, rerecord until you get it right) it will come through as a strong theme. Adding drums may not be a far fletched idea,BD, SD and ride cymbal could be enough. For the un and down (glissando) arrangement of the guitar in the verse, add some efx so it will not become tedious. One more idea is to perform the first part with an out of tune guitar like it is now, and then for the second chorus use a tuned guitar.
- sawahwah from Maracaibo, Zulia, Venezuela on 6May2005

beefpoem
Ok, impovised stupidity, start up. Kick in please!! Ok I see what your going for. It kinda comes together once the vocals come in. I just dont like the bendy middley guitar, it quite uninventive.
Some would say this is rubbish. I would say its boring. If your gonna go nuts, work on the production to make it still hold people attention.
- plattishness from Preston, England, United Kingdom on 6May2005

No more experimental rock for me.
I'm writing this song off as a joke. It sounds like you used a $50 4-track and a samson microphone. Silly lyrics, no musical ingenuity. I just can't justify spending more time on this review.
- ThePipeCleaner from Louisville, Kentucky on 5May2005

Painful
I really didn't want to listen to the whole song. If you intended to be dystopically forceful, I didn't feel it. The only time anyone pulled this kind of thing off was during the "sound poetry" years, ie. e.e. cummings.
- Shaqua1973 from Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada on 3May2005

holy crap
You know I was just thinking you don't hear nearly enough Beefhart-ian anarchy in experimental rock these days. Silly me. Great piano. This sounds like it was a lot of fun to record. A little long - but who cares. Dig it.
- harrysson from Hagerstown, Maryland on 3May2005

I found my wammy bar!
Very odd and stilted. Sounds like something from a Dr. Demento broadcast. It also made me think of David Lynch films. Kinda fun. I used to do this sort of thing when I was teenager with my friend Tom. Clearly someone with a lot of time on his hands.
- CharlesOtis from Hawthorne, Florida on 2May2005

Rock band in zero gravity.
Abstract. Out there. I like it.
Wacky meandering piano, a weird bassy sound, and echoey vocals. Like a rock band trying to play floating in space with out gravity. Kind of sounds like "normal" intrument tracks that have been messed with (pitch, speed, effects) and put back together. Pretty cool.
- yesterscape from Columbus, Ohio on 1May2005

rubberbandalero
The journey begins by sitting in a giant slingshot.
When the launch commends you are shot into a wormhole
as you are traveling through other dimensions this is the soundtrack.
Nice and unconventional, kinda reminded me of the frogs.
- Dr.Roman from Somers, Connecticut on 1May2005

Adam Sandler stinks!
Is a three year old playing backup for you? Whoa! Stop the voice! Experimental? You are no good Mister Drunk. Wow. Stop! It hurts.
- jonndevon from Elkhart, Indiana on 1May2005

maybe the finest piece of music ever
The lyrics along with the vocals sent a single tear down my cheek and to the floor. Its not often you listen to a piece of music with so much raw truth and emotion It felt like I was with them with the turmoil and with the sweet sweet noise. The piano with the detuned guitar how do you do it?
- atom777 from Detroit, Michigan on 30Apr2005

Thanks Adam

*yawn*
there's a difference between experimental rock, and just a bunch of random sounds creating by doing random things. the voice is pretty lame and uninspiring. if this is a joke, it's pretty dumb, if it's not, it's hilarious. there's really nothing to review about this other than it needs a LOT of work to be any kind of experiment at all. perhaps ideas would help, creativity, musical goals and, oh yea, talent.
- maxheadlessness from Summersville, West Virginia on 29Apr2005

Avant Garde
YEs! You guys suck! Sounds like some 20th century composition, minus the vocals. Thanks for the chuckle. Rock on!
- MundaxWorm from Batavia, Illinois on 29Apr2005

Review
the song is only playing twenty or seconds each time before stopping, even though there are clearly more than 4 minutes, im sorry for the technical mishap but ill try to review what i heard. The guitar sounds like it has an effect on it, maybe sped up slighly, and though it played without a regard to beat or melody, it is oddly coherent, and i dont know if this is planned or not or if the song comes together later. The scattered piano over the guitar is intersting in that two instruments are indivually playing chaotic, unrelated melodies, but collectively the sound is attention grabbing and well constructed.
- dugg from Dallas, Texas on 27Apr2005

This is very avante alright
You sound like you like Captain Beefheart. What other kinds of music do you make? You are wierd, like our band, haunted pussy. I like wierdness in a person's music. I think that the art someone makes reflects the type of person they are. You seem creative, brave, curious, experimentative, and odd. Thank you for not being normal.
- BilgeBaron from New York on 27Apr2005

weired
wowowie weird intro, strange song.. what's this mushroom stuff doing in my room.. weired weired weired
- kamppieter from Netherlands on 27Apr2005

no structure?
What's happening here, tired of life? There's absolutely no structure in this song, and delay effects don't compensate for a no-song. But it was worth trying I guess. Be your own worst critic. At least than you would try to improve and only post the best songs you have (allthough I must admit I'm guilty as well)
- dotwood from Genk, Limburg, Belgium on 27Apr2005

Not funny, just plain stupid
Well there was a complete waste of 4:17 seconds of my life. I am sorry but perhaps i just dont get it. Anyone can pick up a rhyming dictionary and read random words.
The music is random and mindless, i really think that this song was created in about 8 minutes. The bass line is about as annoying as mosquitos flying into my sunburned ears.
Please if you attempt to do anymore music, please listen to it and make the appropriate volume adjusments so if i have to review another one if your songs my speakers wont be harmed......not to mention my aching ears.
- growler69 from Chicago (Nw Burbs), Illinois on 27Apr2005

baboon music
This song gets marks for ridiculasness. U might do better in comedy. I dont really see how this is experimental. A baboon could play this
- leckieo from Unspecified on 26Apr2005

Its definitely experimental....
This has an interesting vibe - kind of a spoken word mixed with an impromptu, unrehersed song. Great emotion and choking noises towards the end of the song. Seriously, this song makes me wonder about who your musical influences are, and how you went about writing it. Do you play live ?
- jack_lewis from Lansing, Michigan on 25Apr2005

i'm getting lost
i'm confused by the whammied guitar and the piano notes, seems to distract from any sort of melody. vocals are loud, rather tasteless dialogue. needs better production and a guitar tuner.
- driveshaft from Fort Wayne, Indiana on 21Apr2005

Good
I made a poop this afternoon and it sounded much better. Very experimental. I like it I guess. I would never listen to it again but it is the most original song I've ever heard on here. It is also the very worst song I've ever heard on here by far.
- Kjeblo from Spokane, Washington on 21Apr2005

not impressed
This sounds like your using a whammy bar. Nice piano. Pretty weird kinda interesting..hopefully it leads somwhere...nope! The vocals come in and they are totally ridiculas. The lyrics are really childish. I dont know man im not impressed
- CraZyPickleZ from Edmonton, Alberta on 21Apr2005

Good Intro
I like the sound you guys are rolling with. The intro is really cool, it reminds me of something The Olivia Tremor Control would do. The vocals are weird, which is awesome, and the lyrics are interesting. The vibe feels like somebody's mind is falling apart and they are progressively trying to piece it back together. I like how the song becomes slightly more structured as it moves along. Good job guys, you need some better production though. It sound a bit too dirty and the vocals are too loud.
- Chimeshadow from Santa Barbara, California on 21Apr2005

PRETTY OUT-THERE
VERY AVANT-GARDE STUFF. THIS IS ACTUALLY EXPERIMENTAL. THE BENDING WAS A LITTLE REPETATIVE, BUT ALL IN ALL, AN ORIGINAL TRACK. LIKED THE KEYBOARDS.
- Sola from Stratford, New Jersey on 21Apr2005

real good
this is real out there I like it alot someone has a imagnation what a great thing
- honestgod from Mohonk Lake, New York on 21Apr2005

Extra Credit Awards
Originality-6
Stupidest Song Ever-6
Keyboards-6
Guitar-4
Mood-3
Male Vocals-2
Production-2
Lyrics-2
Best Feel Good Song-2
Best Dance Track-1
Melody-1
Bass-1
Programming-1
Beat-1

Today was awarded Stupidest Song in Experimental Rock, for the week of 5-2-05.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

GeoURL