Saturday, April 30, 2005

7 Mile

Hi-diddly-ho
In our continuing series of songs being reviewed on GarageBand.com, we have made our way through the review cycle of "7 Mile" here is all the info about the song and the reviews that it received. Reviewers are also able to give extra credit to certain elements of a song, a list of the extra credit awards will be shown after all the reviews. See you momentarily with, "Zoe".

7 Mile(4:58)


Score 1.5 out of 5.0
#138 of 142 in Current Groove Rock
#1427 of 1435 in All-Time Groove Rock

History
This song appeared on the Tonto Savalas album, Manifesto. Jeff sings and plays guitar, Rob plays bass, and Mick is the drummer and does the intro. The song was most likely recorded sometime in 1998. Jeff did the production work on it. It's also worth mentioning that this is the first song that we did not put up in Experimental Rock and it suffered because of that.

Lyrics
Mick-Rock, I said Rock, I said Rock and Roll

Jeff-Those girls on 7 Mile
I think they were call girls
I don't think that they were too expensive
Because they weren't dressed too nice

Those girls were hookers

Reviews
a few things
this live recording sounds really cheap. it's a tired formula. I feel like your song is a joke that I don't get. The singing needs much work. ditoo for the bass drums and guitar.
- Pileofned from Hicksville, New York on 27Apr2005

????
Very muddy recording. Not sure I understand the point of this song. None of the parts of the band are fitting together at all. It sounds like everyone is playing a different song. Keep trying guys!
- getung from Calgary, Alberta, Canada on 27Apr2005

review
tuning is always a good idea.... great vocals definatley can tell though this is a live recording... great work!!
- LiquidHarvest from Charleston, West Virginia on 26Apr2005

I don't like the I say rock
the song would have been better without the introduction. The vocal key is off pitch and bouncy. I don't really care for it.
- lindsaymaestas47 from Colorado Springs, Colorado on 26Apr2005

Good intro YEAH ROCK
Is this a live recording? Sounds like a tape recorder in the middle of a room. The singer sings off key. I cant go on.
- jonni_starfish from Sarnia, Ontario, Canada on 26Apr2005

zykes!---drunken midget aliens have taken over your garage
ok, lose the spinal tap beginning unless you're in high school. too gargebandish for me. drum part is boring and the cymals dont sound good. bass sound is too full of effects. i will say that the band plays together well. vocals are terrible.
- LIGHTNINGHAND from Sacramento, California on 25Apr2005

abc
alot of attention is needed on this track..levels are off..practice the song more before recording again..track has no hook or solid melody line..vox need work..too long-make it short and sweet..overall mix needs work..good luck
- overhill_nj from Blackwood, New Jersey on 24Apr2005

Not sure
the song doesnt seem to fit with itself, as if there are two different keys going on at the same time. the guitars are too heavy, and it doesn't really groove too much. the guitars are too heavy, and so is the bass, and the singing doesn't fit. my advice would be to regroup, and try to find a different heavy sound that fits with each other, because sometimes songs that don't fit could sound good, or bad, and you guys wound up drawing the short end of the straw with that one. sorry, but i think the song needs to be completely redone, because absolutely nothing fits in it.
- tamadrummer1422 from Wallingford, Pennsylvania on 23Apr2005

practice makes perfect
I like the intro idea, but the ensuing musical intro is not strong enough to support it. Jamming on changes is cool for rehearsal and sometimes live performances, but for a recording, cut it to a minimum. The lead vocalist needs to watch his intonation and enunciation. It's cool sometimes to just belt, but that should be few and far between. The audience needs to trust your ability to sing in tune and with precision when you choose. The belting should be selected, not the only option. Mixwise, when there is a guitar solo, bring it up front. It was pretty buried in everything else. The guitar is much colder in the mix than anything else. Vocals are too hot, as are the drums. The structure of the song is not clearly defined. It feels like a jam session. Nothing wrong with this, but if you want to develop your songwriting, you're gonna need to step away from that for a while.
- intervisionary from Milwaukie, Oregon on 21Apr2005

did he say 7 mile
being from detroit, the first lyric that stood out was the phrase "7 mile" if thats what he said. The recording of this song sounded really raw. This really sounded like it was recorded in a garage, or a tiny hole in the wall bar, for the tone of the song the recordeing quality went well with, but i wouldn't mind hearing a more clean-cut version. I really liked all the end of the song, especially the build of of percussion with the pause afterward. The end of the song reminded me of hendrix and a band of gypsys.
- persiphone_is from Woodhaven, Michigan on 21Apr2005

this is some homestyle
fortunatly, this type of music works well and sounds well coming off of a dirty cassette tape straight out of a boombox, which is what i'm assuming this was recorded with. very 70's hendrix sounding little cobainyness.
- driveshaft from Fort Wayne, Indiana on 20Apr2005

???
a very garage type recording. I can't really tell what your going for here. Tighten up the screws here and I think it could be alot better. A little theory or structure would help as well.
- jlehto from Sheboygan, Wisconsin on 19Apr2005

Live Drunk guitar
Sorry guys this song is horrible.Off key vocals and terrible sounding guitar...either out of tune or just plain ugly.I have nothing good to say about this song...ex-cept the drumms were played with competance.
- Nitromeistro from Puyallup, Washington on 19Apr2005

Are you serious?
Come on man. I'm not putting any effort into a review if you don't put any into the song.
- ndelc from Albuquerque, New Mexico on 19Apr2005

nice intro
i was laughing at the dude yelling rock and roll. quite funny. As far as the rock and roll goes, it seems that it is lacking a bit of energy here in the beginning. Guitar could be turned up a bit more. vocals could use some effect of some sort, to make it sound more full. out of key at some points, maybe check that out and try to improve on it. nothing really excites me about this track. It's not bad, it's not the best. keep on jamming and making some cool songs. yeah
- bgiacomi from West Lafayette, Indiana on 18Apr2005

Jammin!!
A young band jamming in the basement, I dig it. The vocals are cool, wild and a little scarey. The drummer is pretty solid. The guitar is cool. Everybody sounds like they have the potential to kick ass one day. Keep practicing and getting tighter!
- skeeboknight from Macon, Georgia on 18Apr2005

great bassline
It has a real good bass line that keeps the song moving. Music is good and well rounded. Sounds like a real good jam session.
- DownsideCole from Unspecified on 15Apr2005

no rock + no roll = boring
Well, there's definitely no rock happening here- that's for sure. There's absolutely no songwriting skills portrayed here whatsoever, just pure thoughtless and sloppy wankery. From the absolutely atrocious vocals (terrbile pitch, mundane phrasing and outright dumb lyrics) to the shoddy guitar solo (meaningless shred-fest) there's nothing here for the listener. Congratulations on your self indulgent drivel- come back when you've got somthing to offer. You guys would get torn to shreds in a high scholl talent show.
- tractorj0hn from Presque Isle, Maine on 15Apr2005

GARAGEband
A true garageband! Recorded in dad's garage? Bet this was fun to record BUT....lead guitarist hit his share of 'clams' - vocalist also had his share of sour notes. Mix was set on "11's" all the way through. Too much. I wouldn't play this song out in public in this present form but its perfect for your dad's garage. Nope, couldn't get into your groove.
- TXsweetchild from San Antonio, Texas on 12Apr2005

Different Sound
I like the vocalist in the song. He sounds like Jimmy Hendrix mixed with Jim Morrison. I think that the levels on the track are a bit off. I think that the lead guitar needed to be turned up. The song is different from all the music I've heard. Heavy stuff.
- AlfredVillarino from El Monte, California on 10Apr2005

Extra Credit Awards
Stupidest Song Ever-3
Mood-2
Drums-1

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What up TontoSavalas! I just finished up a ten hour work day and decided to kick back and do some surfing. So I grabbed myself a drink and stumbled across your blog while doing some research on takamine guitar for a upcoming project I am doing. Well even though this post isn’t what I was looking for I really enjoyed reading your blog. Your doing a great job and please keep up the good work. Lots of people do not keep their blogs up to date :0) There are some very interesting view points stated here. Anyways I am going to grab the bull by the horns and continue to plug away at takamine guitar. I have already bookmarked your blog. You many want to visit me at takamine guitar. You never know you might see something you like! Again great job.

10:02 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi TontoSavalas your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on resonator guitar I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to this post, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about resonator guitar. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at resonator guitar. You never know you may find some good deals!

8:28 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey TontoSavalas. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching beginner guitars. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though this post is way off base from beginner guitars I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at beginner guitars. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work.

3:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello TontoSavalas ! You built a really nice blog, congratulations! I would like to advise you my website about scommesse online . Only scommesse online !

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

GeoURL