Saturday, March 12, 2005

More about Petra Haden Sings The Who Sell Out

An earlier post (and on this very blog, even!) got me interested in hearing the album. Well, in my noodling around world, getting from interested to actually doing something about it might a day or two weeks.

Well, today the magic day arrived!

No, I'm still waiting for the magic day. The crazy elf who promises you a magic day if you just get in the damn barrel- he lies! Don't listen to him!

Anyway, today I picked up Petra Haden Sings The Who Sell Out. I excpected to listen to it once, as a curiosity. Then maybe in a week or two months, I'd give it another go. I mean, it is an album using only the voice as an instrument and that gets old, right? How many times could you listen to ANY Bobby McFerrin song before it became aural torture?

I've listened to it three times already today. TODAY! I've also listened to european death metal today, but hey, that's no way to ass-rape the goat. Petra Haden sings The Who Sell Out has a great name, it's fun, come on type it with me. Petra Haden sings the Who Sell Outis a damn good album.

The Who sings The Who Sell out was a damn good album. I congratulate you, Petra Haden on picking some cool shit to listen to. You have made it possible for me to listen to I Can See for Miles again. It's a good song, but I was just damn sick of it.

Some of the highlight songs of the original don't come off as well as they should because, hey, The Who managed to pretty much nail it; like Odorono and Amenia City in the Sky. A song like Mary Anne with the Shaky Hands always felt like it had something wrong with it in the first place.

Then there's Tatoo. The odd qualities of the original are only accentuated by Petra's overlayed vocal tracks- including the actual lyric which breaks off into nonsense syllables. A-rooty-toot-toot. Just a hypnotic and fascinating piece of music. Or Rael. I never payed a lot of attention to it on the original album. Petra's version sends my brain out into this raging psychedelic Beach Boys boat trip. Then she scats. Then I'm back on the Sloop John B. Tthe crazy elf is there and he's just looking at me all evil-eyed and pointing right at the barrel.

The sound of the instrumentation has been wiped off the album, for good or bad, and that has left it with a surprisingly modern sound. You can't date these songs by the sound of the instruments. 1967 is wiped off the map. Well, maybe the british humor of 1967 is still there, but hey, I'm huffing kittens over here.

Good stuff, and weird as hell. It's going to stay in my current musical line-up for the time being. Then again, tomorrow I might decide to use it as sandpaper to rub out my digital hemroids. Ya. I'm like that.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does She Have Nice Boobs?

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does She Have Nice Boobs?

9:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Does She Have Nice Boobs

9:42 AM  
Blogger TontoSavalas said...

Honestly, I've no idea, but the girls got a hell of a set of lungs.

8:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

GeoURL