Monday, June 20, 2005

Squirrel Cat

Hiddy-Ho,
In our continuing series of songs being reviewed on GarageBand.com, we have made our way through the review cycle of "Squirrel Cat" here is all the info about the song and the reviews that it received. Reviewers are also able to give extra credit to certain elements of a song, a list of the extra credit awards will be shown after all the reviews. See you next time with, "Crackhead Stew".

Squirrel Cat(2:31)


Score 2.9 out of 5.0
#131 of 195 in Current Experimental Rock
#826 of 1483 in All-Time Experimental Rock

History
One day we were headed up north to a camper. The ride was long and arduous, so much was needed. As the day turned to dusk a ferocious beast jumped into the road and blocked our path. He demanded a toll be payed for crossing into his territory. So we took him to the camper and paid him the only way we could, with this song. Mic sings backup, Scott sings lead and plays the guitars, and the Squirrel Cat lent some backing vocals. This is the third song on the Buddha All-Stars landmark first album, Wall of Sound.

Lyrics
There's a Squirrel Cat, now my bowl is getting flat
I saw him on the road
At first I thought he was a toad
My headlights were in his face
But he was winning the race

Squirrel Cat don't bite me
Squirrel Cat don't fight me
I just wanna be your friend
I just wanna be your friend
Squirrel Cat don't bite me
Squirrel Cat don't fight me
I just wanna be your friend
I just wanna be your friend

Squirrel Cat in the road, lookin at me like a toad
Squirrel Cat in the road, lookin at me like a toad
Squirrel Cat but he was winning, he was winning
Headlights were in his face

Squirrel Cat don't bite me
Squirrel Cat don't fight me
I just wanna be your friend
I just wanna be your friend
Squirrel Cat don't bite me
Squirrel Cat don't fight me
I just wanna be your friend
I just wanna be your friend

The Squirrel Cat was smoking down
He had the bowl in his armhand
It was smoking
He burnt his handpaw
Everything went crazy
The place was going on and on
The bowl was blowing and the smoke was flowing
But the place...was stoned

Squirrel Cat don't bite me
Squirrel Cat don't fight me
Squirrel Cat don't bite me
Squirrel Cat don't fight me
I just wanna be your friend
I just wanna be your friend

There's a Squirrel Cat in the road

Reviews
interesting sounds, but overall stupid.
interesting sounds, but overall stupid.
- patrick_walker527 from Melbourne, Vic, Australia on 14Jun2005

hitting a bunch of buttons
first few seconds is totally worthless... at 30 seconds i start to hear something that resembles music. ok im really not impressed at this yoko ono wanna be composition. im all for experimental music and avant garde art but this is just a person hitting a bunch of random buttons in the studio and singing "i just want to be your friend" you put not a bit of creative energy into this... if you could only be this experimental with music and not electronics and other stuff in the studio( that will only get outdated) you might have something.
- DevinDevin from Soggytown, Monkeyville on 13Jun2005

Experimental at it's best!!!
Atmospheric Captain Beefhart. Awesome! The mix is fascinating and intoxicating. Etheral spirits jumping out of the speakers to mess with your head. What an amazing composistion. Truly original and captivating.
- americanrust from Stanchfield, Minnesota on 12Jun2005

energizer bunny....
backwards intro...?...?...ok, not working at all. hope the whole thing isnt like this. Still going...and going. Your like the energizer bunny of bad song making, if you can call that a song. This track shouldnt evan be in the contest for reveiw. Sorry if I sound harsh, but sheesh!
- pleasemachine from Seattle, Washington on 12Jun2005

Mr. Bungle
Have you ever heard of the bungals. Well you have acomplished their annoying screwd up sound, wich is in a way a compliment. On the other hand there are, as I'm sure you have allready encountered, people who would say this is crap. I think psychadellics are the inspiration for this, STUFF, this is not music. I'm sure this stuff would be quite cool if I ate about an oz of shrooms but unfortunately for you I don't do that anymore. I don't understand why you would put this on knowing full well that the reviews are not going to be too good, on the other hand that may be what you are going for. In that case I give you props for having big balls, no one ever made it anywhere without taking risks.
- tekkid12052 from Cheyenne, Wyoming on 12Jun2005

focus daniel-san
I like the individual layers I just wish it went somewhere. The vocals are singing and have their own rhythm so maybe use this as a "drum" track and build the ambient noise to reflect that. Overall it's just too abstract, the only thing I could really grasp was the vocal.
- UnnecessaryEvil from Los Angeles, California, Antarctica on 12Jun2005

The big experiment
So how do we make these sounds? This certainly was and experiment. The last song I heard was 1970's rock, not experimental at all. Now this. Distorted not in a pleasing to the ear way. I was wanting this to make me think, or leave me with something enduring. Maybe it went over my head cos I just got distorted sound effects and some dialogue. But it was brave and definitely original so full marks for that and it gets my vote over the widdly guitar solo's.
- sirhcjacks from Manchester, United Kingdom on 11Jun2005

Capt. Beefheart lives!
Experimental... Wild-sounding. Trippin, man...I liked what most people probably overlook. Keep up the awesome stuff... It takes balls and dedication, so best of luck
- SonicM from Tucker, Georgia on 11Jun2005

hi
well this is pretty silly. I don't know how to respond to this exactly...I wish I could understand the words better. Obviously it's biggest failure is that it is totally arbitrary. I mean , musically, it has no redeeming qualities. And as art? Well what do you think it accomplishes as art? Does it make meaningful commentary on the medium? I'd say no. Does it make me smile? A little bit at points. Is it easy on the ears? No. Is it groundbreaking? No. Is it original? Not really, though it isn't wholly unoriginal. Overall? 2.
- mrstrauss from Temple City, California on 9Jun2005

Very strange
The mix sounded very fuzzy. No idea what the vocalist was saying. I appreciate the spirit of experimentation, but I would add an element of melody in there to draw the listener or better yet new listener of experimental rock. I would focus on some percussion to help along the production and clear up the vocals in order to get your statement across. All in all trying to be different is difficult after so many years of rock before us. I have to give you credit for making an offering into this genre. Best of luck.
- redline from Redford, Michigan on 9Jun2005

Say What?
This is super cool. I mean, sure I don't know what's going on, but I don't care. it's like a mix of life. it's not a song, it's a movement.
- imonfireburn from Calgary, Alberta, Canada on 8Jun2005

Noise rock Yes
Very nice this is right up my alley enjoyed it very much. liked the bell sound the way the spoken word was broken up 2:31 seconds well spent production was nice to. I am guessing your a patton fan or atleast i am hoping however if you are not i suggest checking him out also check out some of my own projects on here they will soon be uplaoded check them out as i will be looking into more of your stuff look forward to hearing more thank you
- Tones757 from Pinckney, Michigan on 8Jun2005

vocals
Loving those vocals. Is taht a uke going on there in the background? NOt much song structure gong on here, but i like it, an interesting listen. I'd love to see this live, man it owuld be hard to pull off. Some crazy sounds going on in there. This would be great in a movie scene if the lead character started having flashbacks.
- nilsprotractor from Canada on 8Jun2005

a fine line
There's experimental and then there's just plain obnoxious. I don't know if this is an earnest effort or not. I think the worst thing is that some of that feedback is actually kind of cool and would have been put to good use in a better written piece.
- mrpersonthing from Canberra, Act, Australia on 7Jun2005

What
What do you call this? I call it noise. No offense.
- Lucidus from Apex, North Carolina on 7Jun2005

Sparse ditty and wierd vocal
Residential like, off wall quark and roll over. Pleasantly grating, creates a definate reaction. Nice and wierd, if you cant be an individual than you cant be a person. Wierd it out, its better than self mutilation.
- gnosticguy from Timberlake, Virginia on 6Jun2005

Sweeter than sweet love
Reversed, hmm, shrill voices, reversed again. I hear some nice mudded guitars, tapped, plucked, hit. Distorted and crooked all the way and he "just wanna be my friend". Well, you can be my friend for sure and i love to invite you to our next schwan-session. You'd be perfect!
- bluerat from Malmoe, Skane, Sweden on 6Jun2005

Return to the pod
Definitely experimental- no chance of you being in the wrong category. The guitar tone and spoken word style remind me of Ween's The pod. I would really like to hear this after a long night of self abuse with a pair of headphones- you have successfully trancended the mainstream plane- good job!
- freshpants from Carrollton, Georgia on 6Jun2005

cool exsperm
what are they saying? well its original but i dont know how many times i might listebn to this it is a good experimentatio nand u hare going in a good direction.
- acidpunk from Pinckney, Michigan on 6Jun2005

Love this
definitely insane. Laughed my ass off. stimulated and want to go back and play this while on acid. Were you on it when you recorded this. What do I comment on... nice space noises, distorted morphed slowed down demon voice? Experimental fo sho
- UVeez from Piedmont, California on 5Jun2005

No
Is the objective here to confuse? Why? Horrible production. Experimenting with irritable bowel? Damn man I'm sorry, but why?
- symbioticsimian from Miami, Florida on 4Jun2005

I like crazyness.
I'm kind of partial to the chaotic, loud, crazyness sound in general, so, I like this on a certain level. It's recorded way too loud, and none of the instruments come through, but, who cares. It's obviously intended to be abrasive and it works for me. So, there.
- Allen_White from Austin, Texas on 4Jun2005

very irritating 2
whats that? un-understandable vocals. no melody. irritating electrosound. making my headache come back... very irritating
- schlechterdrummer from Gmunden, Upper Austria, Austria on 4Jun2005

Needs work
This mix of odd vocal and music samples, interested me at first. However, it shows no arrangement or structure at all; thus, I have a hard time saying anything good about it. Needs work.
- undoingofdavidw from Dallas, Texas on 3Jun2005

???
Somthing weird is about to happen. Souuds like weird hillbilly techno or somthing..overall its very distracting and also a little irritating. It sounds like an episode of dr whoe or somthing.
- CraZyPickleZ from Edmonton, Alberta on 2Jun2005

Scrambled and spooky
There is too much noise and fuzziness to this tune, for me this just becomes annoying.
Not much to hold on to in this tune, everthing sounds very overdriven and distorted.
Sorry I dont catch this..
- Julianscave from Oslo, Norway on 2Jun2005

Extra Credit Awards
Originality-9
Stupidest Song Ever-5
Guitars-3
Mood-3
Programming-3
Production-3
Male Vocals-2
Lyrics-2
Female Vocals-1
Beat-1
Most Rocking Track-1

Squirrel Cat was awarded Stupidest Song in Experimental Rock for the week of 6-13-05. It was also awarded Most Original Song in Experimental Rock for the week of 6-13-05.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey this blog is not about resonator guitar. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on resonator guitar and it brought me to your blog on this post. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog TontoSavalas and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I may snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding online guitar and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) TontoSavalas your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on online guitar was way off when compared to this post and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for online guitar for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really enjoyed it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later

7:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding jack johnson guitar tab and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) TontoSavalas your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on jack johnson guitar tab was way off when compared to this post and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for jack johnson guitar tab for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really enjoyed it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later

7:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey this blog is not about jack johnson guitar tab. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on jack johnson guitar tab and it brought me to your blog on this post. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog TontoSavalas and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I may snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

10:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been on-line searching for hours for information regarding easy guitar song and stumbled across your blog during my journey :-) TontoSavalas your blog is really amazing! Keep up the great work. Obviously my search on easy guitar song was way off when compared to this post and find it funny how it landed me here. The internet is a funny thing. Anyways, great job on your blogging and keep up the good work! I been searching for easy guitar song for over 2 hours and needed a break from it. I started reading your blog and really enjoyed it.
P.S I will add you to my favorites so I can come back and visit later

8:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi TontoSavalas your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on guitar universe I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to this post, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about guitar universe. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at guitar universe. You never know you may find some good deals!

2:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey TontoSavalas. Very nice blog :0) I just got inside from washing and waxing my truck. It is my baby. Took me 2 hours though. So I settled down into my basement and started doing some web surfing. Anyways I am in the process of grabbing my masters degree and have spent the last 6 months researching guitar girl. In the midst of my surfing I landed smack dab in the middle of your blog. I hope you do not think I am intruding but I must say it is great blog. Even though this post is way off base from guitar girl I found myself cruising through your blog archives for the last half hour :0) You have some nice blogging friends. Anyways, I need to get back to my mission. I wrote don’t your url and feel free to visit me here at guitar girl. I am so busy so I can only update my site monthly. Keep up the great work.

4:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey this blog is not about guitar tab and chord. Silly internet bringing me here :-) Funny I have been doing hours of research on guitar tab and chord and it brought me to your blog on this post. The web plays funny games sometimes. Anyways, I was reading your blog TontoSavalas and I think it is really cool. Keep up the great work.
If you do not mind I may snag your blog and put it in my favorites. I read a ton of stuff that interested me. Keep blogging away :-)

12:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi TontoSavalas your blog is really great! Wow :-) As I was out blog surfing and surfing the web for detailed info on beatles guitar tab I stumbled across your blog. Obviously my search landed me here and it is a little off subject compared to this post, but I am certainly glad I did come across your blog. Did I already tell you I like it! If you would not mind, I would like to add your link to my "favorites" page to come back and read again sometime. Should you ever need it, there's lots of information on this site about beatles guitar tab. Again, great blog and keep up the great work!
P.S.S If you want to bookmark my site I am at beatles guitar tab. You never know you may find some good deals!

8:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What up TontoSavalas! I just finished up a ten hour work day and decided to kick back and do some surfing. So I grabbed myself a drink and stumbled across your blog while doing some research on online guitar for a upcoming project I am doing. Well even though this post isn’t what I was looking for I really enjoyed reading your blog. Your doing a great job and please keep up the good work. Lots of people do not keep their blogs up to date :0) There are some very interesting view points stated here. Anyways I am going to grab the bull by the horns and continue to plug away at online guitar. I have already bookmarked your blog. You many want to visit me at online guitar. You never know you might see something you like! Again great job.

8:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

GeoURL