Tuesday, April 05, 2005

As I further reveal my true geekhood

I've just read a craptastic load of comics books, and because I know that no one reading this would trade a week-old rat-chewed bologna sandwich (on wheat) for a comic book, I'm going to tell you all about them! Yay for me!

100 Bullets #59- Awesome series and I'm hoping it wraps up before I completely forget what the hell is going on. Azzarello continues to give me sex, drugs and murder done for any and every conceivable reason. Warning for anyone new to this series: takes a bit to figure out what's going on, but well worth the time.
100 Girls #4- Don't know anything about this one. The art is that primary color cartoony half manga style that's making the rounds. Not my style, but seemed decent.
303 #4 - Garth Ennis doing a bitter old soldiers story. I've missed issues #2 and #3 which means I've no real idea what's going on, but it wasn't hard to pick up and read on it's own. Good stuff.
Amazing Spider-Man #518- eh, it was ok spiderman.
Birds of Prey #80- I've read more issues of this than I care to admit. I always figure I'll give it a quick flip through and look at the cartoon babes in their sexy spandex. Then I start reading the story and I get to the end and yell, "damn you, Gail Simone, for writing an entertaining comic book!"
Daredevil v2 #71- I'm an unabashed Brian Micheal Bendis fan and Daredevil is one of the major reasons why. In fact, I've written to him offering to lick his bald head up to a nice shine, but he hasn't written back... Good stuff and I've grown to love Alex Maleev's art, too.
New Avengers #4- Brian Micheal Bendis couldn't write a decent comic book if someone shoved Stan Lee up his ass. Avengers Disassembled, my tookus! That said, The New Avengers hasn't been bad. Screw you, Bendis!
Runaways v2 #2- Really liked the first run of Runaways; v2 has yet to grab me the same way. If I recall, the first series started a little slow, as well, so I'll keep reading.
Seven Soldiers - Guardian #1- Another pellet in Grant Morrison's current shotgun approach to comics. Pirates in the subways, a newspaper by and for the people, what will this maniac come up with next. Entertaining and better than Seaguy, which was crap. Take that Morrison!
Sleeper Season 2 #10- Great comic. I think it's being cancelled, which is a damn shame. This one and 100 Bullets are great comics for non-comic readers.
The Authority Revolution #6- This was a pretty good issue, but the series as a whole has had major ups and downs since Ellis left. That was a long time ago. I keep reading because I like the characters, oh, and because it's got ultra-violence and boobies.
Wonder Woman v2 #214- Not even flashbacks to the pre-pubescent stirrings of my groin as Lynda Carter jumped over yet another wall in that skimpy outfit can make me read Wonder Woman.
Captain America v5 #4- Ed Brubaker takes Cap to his territory by giving us an involved spy story. Good stuff, but I've always been a sucker for Captain America. I can remember reading CA comics in the late 80's. I knew they were pretty crappy, but I read 'em anyway. It's Captain America, how can you hate him?
Exiles #61- Exiles is a comic geek's wet dream. I mean, they brought back Magick! Illyana Rasputin! Ok, my dork juices are a'flowin all over. My apologies. This is usually a fun, but directionless series, but this story arc actually seems to be going somewhere. Odd.
Invincible #21- One of the very best superhero comics out today. I've read a bunch of Kirkman's comics and a lot of them get a resounding 'eh,' but Invincible is top notch. It's had one of the best plot twists I've ever read. It's light, it's fun and it's still got meat on it's bones. Hope this keeps going for a long time.
Noble Causes #8- Noble Causes is on version 4 or 9 or something, so don't let the numbering fool you. This is pure soap opera and it's a gorgeous mix of genres. This one is highly recommended.
Stormbreaker the Saga of Beta Ray Bill #3- Rather pretentious title, eh? Especially since the title character is a horse-faced alien Thor clone from a 1980's storyline. The thing is, that run of Thor was one of my all time favorite (Thor also spent several issues as a frog) storylines. I haven't seen the first two issues of this comic, but this one has some backstory and a nicely epic cosmic battle- plus a hot demon chick is freed from space hell! What more could you ask for?
The Human Race #01- This looks like a promising mini-series. It's got good art, a pretty standard set up and it got us some action on the quick. Not much characterization beyond the intros, but it's the first issue. I'll keep reading this one.
Ultimate Spider-Man #74- I got to tell y'all- I loves me some Ultimate Spiderman. Being the young and chipper young (young, I tell you!) youth that I am, I missed reading the original spiderman comics as they came out. Oh, sure I went back and read them, but it wasn't the same; with all those old comics being crap and all. Ultimate Spiderman resets it all, no years of backstory, no thirty- year old Peter Parker, no Mary Jane as Supermodel. This is the good stuff. Bagley does a fantastic job on the art and Bendis writes the hell out of this one and he's been doing it for 74 issues. That's an awe-inspiring run for any comic these days. Bendis is a genius and don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Except for that whole Avengers Disassembled thing. You suck, Bendis!
Ultimate X-Men #57- Everything I said about Ultimate Spiderman applies to this one, too, just not quite as good.
Ultimates v2 #4- Now, this one is Ultimate Avengers and it's a different animal altogether. This is ultra-hip, media-savvy and adult. Thor is a lunatic (so we are led to believe)hippy, Iron Man's a full on drinken womanizer socialite, Ant/Giant Man is a wifebeater, Captain America is a hard-nosed asskicker and so on... It's awesome. And Bryan Hitch is one of the best artists out there.
Uncanny X-Men #457- Good lord, I can't even bring myself to read this anymore.
Vimanarama #2- Again with the Grant Morrison shotgun effect. This one has superheroes from eastern mythos battling it out for the fate of the world. Oh, and a love story. I'm quite enjoying this one.
Young Avengers #2- Apart from the silly names, silly premise and one major case of unexplained time distortion, I like this book. Will it go anywhere? Who knows.

That's it. Resist the urge to dress in spandex and resume your regularly schduled lives.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeff Archer said...

That's ok, Lynda Carter gave me pre-pubescent stirrings in my groin also. So did Linda Ronstadt.

6:05 PM  
Blogger TontoSavalas said...

While we're on the subject, Olivia Newton-John was so hot. Xanadu changed my life.

9:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First off 31 ain't young, that's like middle-aged right? Secondly, Linda Carter?!? ewww!!!! Linda Rondstandt?!? double ewww!!! Linda Lavin was the only Linda for me, Olivia Newton John, ehhh, I could take her or leave her. Thirdly, how many forms of geek are you, and be careful not to spill that geek juice on me. Fourthly and lastly, why don't you start a comic book page, figure out a way to make money from it too, and then you can shower them people with your geek juice. That's all, you know I love you truly, madly, deeply.

11:44 PM  
Blogger TontoSavalas said...

Young, damn it!

12:05 AM  
Blogger Jeff Archer said...

"Linda Carter?!? ewww!!!!", what kind of drugs are you on?

4:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Usually the good kind!

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

GeoURL