Friday, April 01, 2005

Soup Turtles

Hello Everybody
As you may or may not know, we recently signed up with GarageBand.com. The site promotes user to user reviews of music. The first song that we submitted was “Soup Turtles”, it has finished going through the review cycle, here is all the info about the song and the reviews that it received. See you next time with “The First Day of Autumn”

Soup Turtles

Score 3.0 out of 5.0
#134 of 200 in Current Experimental Rock
#790 of 1,330 in All-Time Experimental Rock

Vocals and Backwards Guitar-Scott
Background Vocals and Backward Guitar-Mick

History
This song appears on the Buddha All-Stars album, Tripping Through Oblivion, Disc 1. This song was done one track at a time, in about 20 minutes. First take recording on all tracks. The final mix was done immediately after, taking about 10 minutes. Amount of time spent on this song, 30 minutes. The bulk of the lyrics were taken from notes I had written for a nutrition class in college, with sprinkles of improvisational lyrics thrown in.

Lyrics
Migration of the marine turtles
To the soup kitchens and detention centers
With their greenbacks floating through them
Turtle singing
Turtle swimming
Turtle sinking down into the sea
Give me mushrooms
Watching the dark full moon
Fall from the rosewood branches
Margarine has a high smoking point
Margarine
Soup Turtles


Reviews
what the hell?
I'm all about the experimental music but... this was noise to me.
Sounded like 4 guys sitting drunk around a microphone trying to create distortion effects with their mouths while one key on a keyboard is held.
I'm not impressed.
- schwagrotto from West Valley City, Utah on 30Mar2005

ok
Ok well the music here is great, I love those backward sound. But the vocals are just not my style really. It was probably intentional, but I just found them bad. It kind of sad because the background really sound amazing. You're one of those rare band who actually deserve the tag experimental on this website.
3/5
- desertedparking from Quebec, Canada on 29Mar2005

no way.
I definately dig the intro. The vocal track is interesting, i actually like it. seems a bit on the weird side like tool. I dont like some parts in the song, kind of sounds like a silent hill game soundtrack at some points. Overall ... besides the intro this track is horrible.
- IncisionX from East Syracuse, New York on 29Mar2005

Wallflower psycho brains
I dig this piece, its a challenge to listen to without being un melodic or un feeling toward the listener. The disruptive tendencies of the vocals and the poor production coincide well with the song and in no means ruins it. Not a sing a long, but who cares, its interesting, overtly hip and careless, all on purpose, a great excecution.
- mrarashi from Reno, Nevada on 29Mar2005

Extremely experimental
I like the first minute. Reminds me a bit of Thom Yorke's experiments in Radiohead records after OK Computer. The whining in the very beginning before actual words are uttered is fantastic, as well as the reverse notes in the background.

Towards 1:00 the whining becomes annoying and starts breaking the symbiosis built with the accompaniment.

Towards 1:16 when things become hectic I think the whole thing loses proportion and moves from something weird to just annoying. The leading vocal track becomes too dominant, and overshadows all th rest.

If you want things to get thicker and crazier there are other, more complex and exciting means to achieve that effect, without making the listener want to close his ears or turn ur track way down. You could add more parts to the accompaniment, add sparkling sounds in the background, unexplained noises coming from all sides of the stereo field like a hand clap, or a thunder roll, or someone running, or something completely different.

Just making the vocals louder and shouting as u progress doesn't do the trick, and IMO ruins all the great tension and eeriness u achieve in the first minute.

So put a little elbow grease into it, u can do much better.
- BoazPeleg from Haifa, Israel on 29Mar2005

Paul is dead - Paul is dead
Whoa! Reversed messages and a juvenile singer. Could it be any better? This sure is experimental and you are trying to broaden your horizons in a very talented way. The final touch would be to get your singer to actually sing in pitch. It would lift this song severel steps on the ranking scale.
- bluerat from Malmoe, Skane, Sweden on 29Mar2005

Rip that shit tomas
Beck stereopathic, if you got an inside joke keep it that way, it sounds like you're dying run over by a car on acid too messed up to know that you have nothing below the pecs left and people go ahead and drive by you really fast, cuz you've all got a mullet. But holy crap, you just keep squawking and hopefully one of those 65mph tires will squash the head and end this travesty.
- xMTone from Columbus, Ohio on 28Mar2005

I actually, really, really like this song.
The ambience and sound manipulation is top notch in this. The vocals convey feeling, and that is my main judgement about vocals. Great piece of work, my friend. Keep it up. This does have the tone of early Modest Mouse though.
- atomiskcity from High Ridge, Missouri on 28Mar2005

crazy
AHhh this is some funky shit! Im actually scared right now but my god what is it!? OHahh this is fuckin crazy i like it! just crazy!
- ninthfloorview from Ingleside, Ontario, Canada on 28Mar2005

Beautiful!!
beautiful!!Oh I just said that!?
This reminds me of a song that I love by Mercury Rev but this is much more f$@ked up!
Too much time on your hands?Very drunk one evening?Or a musical genius?
- zantetzuken from Surrey, British Columbia, Canada on 28Mar2005

tape stretcher
I like the earie tape stretching sound you have here. The vocals a very interesting on the edge of disturbing. This sounds very psychedelic, pretty crazy trip your on, but well executed. Ween on even more drugs... I wonder what this track sounds like in the context of the record, or a show maybe.
- diskoPunk5C from Hollywood, California on 27Mar2005

Voop Vooop Voop Vup Backwardsy in a good way
Pretty cool. Very hard to criticize as this track is defintely an anything goes tyope of track. I like the pairing of the vocals with the backwards guitar. It works well at setting a certainly strange mood. Could there be an third sound that could be added? Maybe a super repetitive beat produced by a spoon on a table.

As ar as answering "who do we sound like" I honestly have no clue. This sounds like a hidden track a band with an idea had keeping them up late at night. Good fun.
- garpike from Los Angeles, California on 27Mar2005

noitcudorP is OK, I guess
Very backward. Annoying like the mosquito I seem to hear. I love backward, but not when the whole song is like that. But as an experiment I guess it's OK. We're all free to experiment. noitcudorP is OK, I guess
- dotwood from Genk, Limburg, Belgium on 27Mar2005

I,m on acid again
I remember being on acid listening to my friends car sterio that he some how got to play back wards I think this song was on it.
- infrasound from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada on 26Mar2005

That sounds crazy
It sounds like a mesquito attacking me. I think you sound like the early butthole surfers. And you have been eating too many mushrooms.
- EvilDrGonzo from West Henrietta, New York on 25Mar2005

Insane
I used to do acid. A lot. A whole lot. In my head, I heard this. This is the kind of thing only truly deranged people could make or enjoy. I kinda like it. It is horrible, but I like it. I laughed. It sounds a little like Ween's Pure Guava album, a little like Negativeland and a little like a a fly getting caught in a feedback machine. Ever hear Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music? There you go. You sound like that, only not as good.
- KrisNAmber from Palm Bay, Florida on 25Mar2005

Trippy
Really liked the reverse sound,,sounds like a twisted accordian.
great experimenting with vocal techniques,,,almost acoustic science.
- Dethkit from Pointy Biro, North Wales, United Kingdom on 25Mar2005

experimental noise AB's
Who do you sound like?
You remind me Virgin Prunes ore one of those experimental goth from the 80's with some of ween and some of residents.

So, it not that original
....anyways you earned points by making the track length short and proving that is not necesary to use 11 minutes to do experimental music...

But I definitely this could have been done better if any interest on from the side of the band.

even noise and punk and experimental requires of arranging and orchetrating, a none of than is shown in this track. sound to improv and it doesn't hold well.....to me at list. but who I'm to talk anyways.
- chulosilache from Brooklyn, New York on 25Mar2005

Bag of bollox
Who do we sound like ...? hmmm
Well you sound like you're up yer own asses and you can't quite sing. This must mean loads to the artist ot is it just piussing about.
I know a lot of experimental stuff, but this is just sh*t - poor quality ... if you're gunna do stuff when you're high at least mix it when someones sober.
How can anyone write something nice about this piece of rank entertainment ... grow up lol.
You sound like you need a slap ...
- FlyingSmee from Barnsley, Yorkshire, United Kingdom on 25Mar2005


Extra Credit Awards
Each reviewer (out of the 20 reviews) is allowed to give as many awards as they see fit, the number after each award is the amount of times that aspect got an extra credit vote.

Originality-6
Mood-4
Male Vocals-2
Production-2
Programming-2
Stupidest Song I've Ever Heard-2
Keyboards-1
Melody-1
Lyrics-1
Best Feel Good Track-1

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

...and when I say 'slap', I mean a slap on the buttocks. I hard, sharp slap on the meaty part of the buttocks. The kind of slap where your hand lingers on the buttocks.

8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

GeoURL